Relocation Assistance Program

Air National Guard: Federal Active Duty

Benefit Fact Sheet

Share on Facebook Share on X Share on LinkedIn

Under (U.S. Code Title 10 §1056), help is available for Military members and, where applicable, their families to manage service-required relocation by providing standardized information and services through various coordinated relocation assistance programs.


airmen walking with an American Flag Air National Guard Service members on federal active duty who make a permanent change of station (PCS) move are entitled to receive PCS services and allowances to help manage the move.   Additionally, Service members preparing to retire are entitled to receive certain PCS allowances to help manage the cost of the move.

Benefit Highlights

The Relocation Assistance Program is a congressionally mandated program designed to ease the personal and family stressors military families experience with a PCS by providing assistance, counseling, education, and training throughout all phases of the relocation process.

Each Department of the Air Force (DAF) installation Military & Family Readiness Center (M&FRC) provides a support staff, trained in the techniques and delivery of professional relocation assistance. Each relocation assistance program offers the following services to assist Service members and their family members moving to or from the particular installation:

  • Destination area information and preparation before relocation, emphasizing moving costs, housing costs and availability, childcare, Spouse employment opportunities, cultural adaptation and community orientation.

  • Counseling is available for financial management, home buying and selling, renting, stress management, property management, and shipment and storage of household goods, motor vehicles, and pets.

  • Settling-in services, focusing on available government living quarters, private housing, childcare, Spouse employment assistance information, cultural adaptation, Sponsorship training support and community orientation.

  • Home finding services, with emphasis on services for locating adequate, affordable temporary and permanent housing

Houses Information for each individual relocation program is managed through a central, computerized information system, MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, a Department of Defense (DoD) program that provides Service members and family members with extensive updated information about military installations worldwide before departing from their current station. MilitaryINSTALLATIONS information includes employment, housing, childcare, medical facilities, education, and support services. The MilitaryINSTALLATIONS can be accessed at This web-based program also offers the popular Plan-My-Move fill-in calendars with extensive reminders and guidance for each step of the moving cycle. The newest service is Electronic Sponsorship. The MilLife LEARNING works in coordination with all the M&FRC, providing specific information for each service to assist transferring individuals/families obtain sponsorship, as well as online training for those individuals willing to serve as a sponsor.

To help manage the cost of the move, the core PCS reimbursement programs include:

PCS Reimbursement Programs

The Core PCS Reimbursement Programs




Dislocation Allowance (DLA)


DLA is intended as partial reimbursement for miscellaneous moving expenses. DLA is not authorized for the first PCS from home unless dependents move; the last PCS (separation or retirement); member without dependents assigned to government quarters; or transfer to nearby PDS (unless move of household goods preauthorized).

Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)


MIHA reimburses a member for overseas costs associated with living in privately owned or  privately leased quarters. MIHA/Miscellaneous focuses on one-time rent related expenses and the initial cost of making a home habitable. MIHA/Security focuses on one-time modification of homes for security protection. MIHA/Rent is a dollar-for dollar reimbursement made for up front rent related expenses such as rental agent fees. Rates vary by currency rates and location.

Per Diem Allowance


Per diem allowance is designed to partially reimburse Service Members for lodging and meal expenses en route to the new duty station. For travel by POV (auto), per diem for the member is the flat Standard CONUS rate. Per diem for dependents is ¾ the member's applicable rate for each dependent age 12 or older, and ½ the member's rate for each dependent under age 12. The military uses 400 miles per day as the standard one-day travel distance. In computing per diem days, take the Official Government Mileage between duty stations and divide by 400.

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)


MALT is the mileage reimbursement paid when a member and/or the member's family drive to their new duty station, based on the Official Military Table of Distances. MALT rates may be paid for up to 2 vehicles without special approval and may be advanced 80% prior to move (and paid by travel voucher). If orders do not deem POV travel most advantageous, per diem will generally be paid for air travel time with excess time considered as leave, and MALT and per diem will be limited to the cost, to the government, of the use of an airline ticket.

Household Goods (HHG) Transportation

Movement and Storage of Household Goods (HHG)


Authorized transport weight varies by grade and whether or not there are family members.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)


TLA helps cover the cost of temporary housing and meals incurred upon arrival at or immediately before leaving an OCONUS location. TLA is calculated according to the number of family members, actual lodging cost, availability of cooking facilities, and the local per diem rate.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

CONUS only

TLE partly reimburses relocating members for the cost of meals and lodging incurred when temporary housing is needed - Please check latest JTR for current information.

Advance Basic Pay


Advance Basic Pay is similar to an interest-free loan for a PCS with military salary as collateral. Repayment is normally made in 12 equal installments beginning the month after it is drawn.

Official DoD Customer Moving Portal:

Plan Your Move

Schedule Your Move Use Defense Personal Property System (DPS) to schedule your move with a transportation company, track the status and location of your shipment, and file claims.

  • Sign in to DPS to schedule your move online

  • If you are doing a joint move (a.k.a., a dual military move with your active duty spouse), please visit your local personal property office to get help scheduling your move

  • Visit PCSmyPOV to schedule an appointment at your assigned Vehicle Processing Center.

Get Ready for Moving Day

Settling In

As you are unpacking you might notice that some items got lost or broken in transit. Follow this process to file a claim to receive compensation for your damaged items:

  • Give Transportation Service Provider (TSP) written notice of loss/damage within 180 days from delivery date

    • Review and sign the Notification for Loss and Damage at Delivery form

    • Submit the Notification of Loss and Damage After Delivery form in DPS

  • File a claim within nine months from the delivery date

    • File an itemized clam in DPS for every item that was lost or damaged during the moving process

  • Work with TSP to assess your claim

  • Finalize the settlement

    • TSP should provide an itemized listing of their offer for each or your items.  You many respond by accepting or rejecting the offer for each individualized.

Additional Information

For more information on the Relocation Assistance Program, please visit: 

In addition, contact information for Relocation Assistance offices on Air Force installations may be located on the Military Resource Locator Library on MyAirForceBenefits:

Defense Travel Management:

Department of the Air Force Instruction, AFI 24-602, Personal Property Moving and Storage

Document Review Date: 08 August 2023