Reimbursement for State Licensure and Certification Costs for the Spouse of a Service Member

Air National Guard: Federal Active Duty

Benefit Fact Sheet

Share on Facebook Share on X Share on LinkedIn

The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act allows each service branch to reimburse the Service member up to $1,000 for Spouse's relicensure and certification costs resulting from relocations or Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves that cross U.S. state lines and to include OCONUS to stateside moves.


Spouses of Air National Guard Service members on Federal active duty of any rank who moved across state lines due to a PCS under accompanied orders, and who wish to pursue the same licensure or certification in their new location are eligible for reimbursement.

Benefit Highlights

The Air Force defines "qualified relicensing costs" as any required exam costs or registration fees set by the new state so that a military Spouse can continue working in their current profession. You can receive up to $1,000 in reimbursement per move.

The Spouse is not required to have held the license in the immediately preceding duty station state. So long as the Spouse, while married to the Service member, held the license at any prior duty station state, reimbursement eligibility requirements are met uponA person holding a pen PCS to the new duty station state. For example, a Service member PCSing form outside the continental United States to continental United States may meet eligibility requirements of spousal licensure reimbursement; likewise, as Service member’s Spouse who, upon PCS to a new state, renews their license after a lapse between duty stations may meet eligibility requirements.

The following requirements must be met for reimbursement:

  • The Service member’s PCS orders must authorize movement of the Service member’s dependents at government expense.

  • The Service member is PCSing from a duty station in one state to a duty station in another state. (This includes Hawaii, Alaska, Washington D.C. and the U.S. territories).

  • Relicensing costs must be incurred and paid within 24 months of the PCS orders being authenticated.

  • State of the new duty station requires license / certification for the same profession as previous state.

Reimbursement is not authorized for moves upon accession, Career Intermission Program, retirement or separation from the Armed Forces.

Documents needed for reimbursement:

  • Form OF 1164 Claim for Reimbursement for Expenditures on Official Business

  • Copy of PCS orders

  • Copy of Spouse’s previous state license or certification

  • Proof of fee payment showing the new state’s relicensure fees

Reimbursement Process: You can apply for reimbursement after getting your new license or certification. Bring the documentation to your local finance office. The staff can assist with other required forms.

Additional Information

Transferring Your Professional License: What’s Involved?

Air Force Spouse Licensure Reimbursement Program Frequently Asked Questions:

US Department of Labor, Military Spouse Interstate License Recognition Options:

Department of the Air Force Manual 36-2102, Personnel Base-Level Relocation Procedures:

Document Review Date: 29 September 2023