Permanent Change of Station (PCS) OCONUS

Regular Air Force: Retired

Benefit Fact Sheet

Share on Facebook Share on X Share on LinkedIn

There are numerous steps in an Overseas Permanent Change of Station (PCS) process. Through various agencies the Department of Air Force provides guidance and counseling to assist Service members and their families in making the best choices.


Retired Airmen and Guardians are eligible for end of Military Service PCS. Service members will not be allowed to separate or retire overseas without meeting host country residency requirements prior to their projected date of separation. Travel must be completed within one year from the retirement date on your orders.  Travel to any location within the United States (U.S.) a retiree is planning to reside after retiring may be claimed. For moves outside the U.S. you will be responsible for any additional cost above what it would have cost to move you within the contiguous 48 states.

Benefit Highlights

Service members will not be allowed to separate or retire overseas without meeting host country residency requirements prior to their projected date of separation. Overseas Military Personnel Flight (MPF) ensures members meet country requirements or ensures members have made proper arrangements to depart the overseas location. MPF ensures members not taking permissive TDY or terminal leave in conjunction with separation or retirement depart the overseas area with sufficient travel time to reach the CONUS by their separation or retirement. If a member’s travel is delayed due to a missed flight, etc., and the member will not be able to reach the CONUS before the projected date of separation, the MPF must contact the orders publishing authority as soon as possible for processing instructions. 

Permissive Temporary Duty (PTDY): Losing commander may approve up to 20 days for CONUS-based members and up to 30 days for members stationed overseas, for a pre-separation or retirement relocation activity such as job or residence search and is eligible under DAFI 36-3009, Military and Family Readiness Centers. (See AFI 36-3003, Military Leave Program for clarification)

Moving Services and Transportation - Moving services cannot be arranged using MilitaryOneSource, the Defense Personal Property System (DPS). They must be arranged in person at your local Traffic Management Office (TMO).

Provide the following at time of counseling:

  • Complete set of orders/authorization including amendments/for each type of shipment planned (e.g., Household Goods (HHG), Non-Temporary Storage (NTS), Unaccompanied Baggage (UB))

  • An idea of when you want to move and an estimated weight. Be as flexible as possible when selecting HHG pack and pickup dates. Your preferred dates may not be available during some periods such as summer or days near official holidays. Avoid scheduling lease termination or house sale closing on the same date your HHG are to be packed, picked up, or delivered. Leave some time in your schedule for the unforeseen. You or your designated representative must be available between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm on pack, pickup, and delivery dates.

  • The date you plan to arrive at your end of service location. Your arrival date assists your Transportation Service Provider (TSP) and/or local TMO with scheduling delivery of your shipment(s), which may reduce storage costs paid by the Government.

  • Type of shipment you want to make (HHG, UB and or NTS) and the estimated weight. Do not forget to declare Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment / Professional Gear (PBP&E/Pro-Gear)

  • Information on excess cost. The minimum excess cost is approximately $100.00 per hundred pounds over the maximum weight allowance

  • A list of large or unusual items (e.g., large screen TV [i.e., plasma, LCD, DLP], piano, pool table, china cabinet, wall unit, satellite dish, hot tub, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle)

  • A letter of authorization signed by you or a power of attorney; required if you are unable to visit the TMO. You may appoint your spouse or an agent to act on your behalf. Be sure the person you choose knows what you want and has the information to make the right arrangements. Remember, this person is acting for you, and you are responsible for that person’s decisions.

Personally Procured Move (PPM), formerly called Do It Yourself (DITY)

playground between 2 buildings The PPM program is an alternate means of moving your personal property. You must make the arrangements at origin just as you would for a Government arranged move and complete certain other requirements to include obtaining weight tickets.

The PPM program allows you to personally move HHG and either be reimbursed up to the Government’s cost or to collect an incentive payment from the Government.

The TMO must provide counseling and prior approval for a PPM move. Failing to comply with service requirements of the program may limit payment or result in complete denial of your claim.

Weight estimator for a PPM

U.S. Transcom provides an “It’s Your Move” Guide to assist Service members in understanding allowances and responsibilities during the packing, shipping and storage of household goods.

Short Distance Moves

If you were living on base and your housing agreement requires you to move out of government quarters before you can determine your home of selection, you are authorized a short distance HHG move from the government quarters to a local temporary residence in the vicinity of the vacated quarters. The usual rank-based weight limits do not apply to this "local move" out of government quarters. This local move does not count as your retirement move, but you will need a memo from the garrison housing office providing the funding citation to be used for the move. If you have any questions, your local personal property office can help you figure out the right steps.

Weight Allowance

Moving allowance is based on the Service members rank and dependency status at the time of retirement. Overages are the Service members financial responsibility. For up to date information regarding household goods weigh allowance use the weight estimator calculator.

Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment / Professional Gear (PBP&E /Pro-Gear) Allowance

PBP&E/Pro-Gear allowances limit PBP&E/Pro-Gear to 2,000 pounds net weight and no longer include personal computers and accompanying equipment, and/or awards presented for significant contributions while performing official duties.

PBP&E/Pro-Gear is defined as:

  • HHG in a member’s possession needed for the performance of official duties at the next or a later destination

  • If you have PBP&E/Pro-Gear to declare, you must do so in or DPS

  • If your estimated and declared PBP&E/Pro-Gear weighs 1,000 pounds or less, there will be no additional approval or review of your declared Pro-Gear and it may be included and packed with the rest of your HHG

  • If your estimated and declared PBP&E/Pro-Gear weighs more than 1,000 pounds, your Service may review your declaration and items at their discretion outside of DPS

  • When PBP&E/Pro-Gear is properly declared in DPS, the weight of PBP&E/Pro-Gear does not count against the total weight of your shipment(s). Before signing your inventory prepared by the TSP(s), be sure these items are declared as “PBP&E/Pro-Gear”. The proper designation of these items and the exclusion of the weight can be very important.

  • The following items are considered PBP&E/Pro-Gear:

    • Reference material not ordinarily available at the next Permanent Duty Station (PDS)

    • Instruments, tools, and equipment peculiar to technicians, mechanics, and members of the professions

    • Specialized clothing such as diving suits, astronaut’s suits, flying suits and helmets, band uniforms, chaplain’s vestments, and other specialized apparel not normal or usual uniform or clothing

    • Communications equipment used by a member in association with the Military Affiliated Radio System

    • Individually owned or specially issued field clothing and equipment

    • Government or uniformed service-owned accountable Organizational Clothing and Individual Clothing property issued to the employee or member by the Service/DoD component for official use.

Excluded from PBP&E/Pro-Gear are:

  • Commercial products for sale/resale used in conducting business

  • Sports equipment

  • Office furniture

  • Household furniture

  • Shop fixtures

  • Furniture of any kind even though used in connection with the PBP&E (e.g., bookcases, study/computer desks, file cabinets, and racks)

  • Personal computer equipment and peripheral devices

  • Memorabilia, including awards, plaques, or other objects presented for past performance (includes any type of going-away gifts, office decorations, pictures, etc.)

  • Table service, including flatware (including serving pieces), dishes (including serving pieces, salvers, and their heating units), other utensils, and glassware

  • Other items of a professional nature that are not necessary at the next/subsequent PDS, such as textbooks from previous schools unrelated to future duties; personal books, even if used as part of a past professional reading program or course of instruction; and reference material that ordinarily would be available at the next/subsequent PDS either in hard copy or available on the Internet.


Unlike some PCS moves, you are only allowed ONE of the following options:Storage units

  • Long Term Storage - Non-Temporary Storage (NTS) at origin (the location where you were last stationed) for up to 180 days for separating members, and one year for retirees. If you have not scheduled your final delivery before your entitlement expires, you will be personally responsible for any additional storage costs.


  • Short Term Storage - Storage-In-Transit (SIT) at your destination up to 90 days. This applies to separating and retiring service members. If your household goods are not delivered before the 90 days expires, you will be responsible for excess storage costs. You may also lose the ability to file any loss or damage claims with your branch of Service's Military Claims Office.

What to expect from your Transportation Service Provider (TSP)

TSP’s Responsibilities (at Origin):

  • Conduct Pre-Move Survey (physical or telephonic) depending on the type of shipment and estimated weight. It should be conducted prior to the first day of packing

  • Begin packing/pickup between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm

  • Protect appliances against damage while in transit. The TSP secures moving parts that, if allowed to move in transit, could damage the appliance

  • Use new, clean packing materials for linen, clothing, and bedding

  • Use new or like-new packing materials for all other items. Excelsior or newspaper is not allowed. Items packed in boxes should be padded and insulated from carton walls.

  • Pack mirrors, pictures, and glass tabletops in specially designed cartons

  • Wrap and protect all finished surfaces from marring or scratching; use furniture pads

  • Properly roll and protect rug and rug pads at residence. Only small throw rugs may be folded.

  • Pack all designated PBP&E in separate boxes. These cartons must be marked “PBP&E/Pro Gear”, weighed separately, and listed on the inventory form.

  • Put all nuts, bolts, and screws from a disassembled item in a bag and attach securely to the item

  • Mark each carton to show general contents

  • Prepare an accurate and legible inventory

  • Obtain approval from the TMO prior to loading on the tailgate of the moving van

  • Remove all excess packing material from your residence

TSP’s Responsibilities (at Destination):

  • Begin delivery between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm

  • Perform a one-time placement of rugs prior to placement of your HHG

  • Unpack and unwrap all cartons, boxes, and crates

  • Place each item or carton in the room you indicate. This one-time placement includes placing unpacked articles in cabinets, cupboards, or on kitchen shelves when convenient, safe, and it is your desired location. Have placement planned out before the TSP arrives. TSPs are required to place each item only once.

  • Assemble all furniture and equipment if disassembled at origin

  • Remove packing and blocking from appliances. The TSP is not required to connect appliances to electric, gas, or water outlets.

  • Provide a “Joint” written record of any loss and or damage at delivery on DD Form 1842 or on the “Defense Personal Property Program Notification of Loss or Damage at Delivery” Form. You and or your designated representative along with the delivery TSP sign this form. The TSP’s representative must provide a copy of this form.

  • TSPs are not required to go into an attic, crawl space, or similar storage area for the purpose of delivering and placing personal property

  • Once the shipment has been delivered, the TSP is not required to deliver property to a self-storage facility.

NOTE: It is not advisable to waive unpacking at any time during the delivery. However, if unpacking is waived, the TSP is not required to return later to unpack or remove debris

Claims - Unfortunately, you may suffer loss or damage to your personal property during movement. If your property is lost or damaged, you have the right to file a claim directly with the TSP.

To file a claim log on to DPS, from the welcome screen locate your shipment and click on the “File a Claim” link. To create a claim, click on the “Start My Claim” button. On the Clam page, click on the icon in the BOL/GBL Number field. DPS will present a pop-up window with a list of shipments. Select a listed shipment in the pop-up window, click the “Pick” button and then confirm but clicking the “Ok” button.

If a claim is filed directly with the TSP within nine months of delivery, then the TSP’s maximum liability on each domestic HHG is:

  • $5,000 per shipment or

  • $4.00 times the net weight of the HHG shipment, or gross weight of the UB shipment, in pounds, not to exceed $50,000, whichever is greater.

For direct claims settlement between member and TSP:

  • Claims must be filed through DPS

  • Claims must be filed with the TSP first to maintain full replacement value (FRV) eligibility.

A member has the option to transfer the claim to the military claims Service after 30 days. In these instances, the military claims office pays the member depreciated value and then pursues the FRV claim with the TSP. After settlement with the TSP, if the FRV settlement exceeds the amount paid by the military claims Service to the member, the member receives the difference.

Accepting a Claim Offer

To accept a claim offer log on to DPS and click the “Claim History” button. Then click the “View My Claim” link. Within the “All Claims” section, locate your claim number and click on it. Now click on the item that you are wishing to accept and click the “Accept Offer” button. Be sure to confirm if you want to accept the offer.

Monetary Allowances and Subsidies

Travel Advances: Retirees can receive 80% of travel entitlement amount. Submit your requests at the Defense Military Pay Office (DMPO).

Travel Voucher
For a detailed guide on how to complete the DD Form 1351-2 click here.

SmartVoucher can be used to make filling in your DD Form 1351-2 easier. Sending in vouchers that are legible, correct and include all the necessary information and documents is the first step in getting your travel claim paid promptly. After you have sent your voucher, check claim status online at:

Documents to include when claiming entitlements:

  • DD Form 1351-2 voucher

  • Complete set of orders and all amendments

  • Receipts showing the following:

    • Company name

    • Date item/service was provided

    • Cost of item/service

    • Taxes shown as a separate item on receipt

    • Proof of payment (marked “paid” or amount due $0.00)

Travel Settlement - Retirees have 1 year after retirement or 4 yearly written extension requests to transportation settlement.

Mail your Settlement Travel/PPM Vouchers for Separations and Retirements Travel Vouchers (DD Form 1351-2) to:

DFAS-ROME Travel Operations
325 Brooks Road
Rome, NY 13441
Fax: 317-275-0277

Privately-Owned Vehicles (POV’s): When you separate or retire from military service, you drive or ship your vehicle(s) at your own expense. There are no mileage, per diem, or "inability to drive" allowances.

Additional Information
Document Review Date: 11 September 2023