Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)

Air Force Reserve: Active Duty

Benefit Fact Sheet

Share on Facebook Share on X Share on LinkedIn

The Overseas Housing program enables service members assigned overseas to privately lease housing on the economy. This program is a reimbursement system that takes into consideration the amount service members spend on rent, utilities and associated move-in costs.


Air Force Reserve service members on active duty under Title 10 USC are eligible for Overseas Housing Allowance.

Benefit Highlights

Overseas Housing Allowance Key Facts:

  • Enables service members to rent comparable housing at an overseas duty-station when on-base or government housing is not available.

  • Partially offsets the housing costs of living on the local economy by adapting to varied housing conditions.

  • Reflects what service members are actually paying in housing costs and is adjusted for local currency exchange rates.

Overseas Housing Allowance Components:

  • Maximum Rental Allowance: A monthly payment designed to help compensate service members for rental expenses at assigned overseas location

  • Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance: Paid monthly to help offset expenses for members who pay utilities, recurring maintenance, and minor repair expenses

  • Move-in Housing Allowance (MIHA): A one-time payment to all OHA recipients designed to cover average move-in expenses, such as utility installation, at an overseas location.

    • MIHA Miscellaneous: A one-time payment to all OHA recipients designed to offset average move-in expenses. The amount is based on expenses reported by members on the OHA Move-In Expenses Survey conducted every three years, including purchase of appliances and utility hookup fees

    • MIHA Rent: A dollar-for-dollar reimbursement for realtor fees

    • MIHA Security: A dollar-for-dollar reimbursement for security upgrades to a dwelling. Only certain locations are authorized

    • MIHA Infectious Disease: A dollar-for-dollar reimbursement for infectious disease related upgrades to a dwelling. Only certain locations are authorized.

Rental allowances are computed using actual rental payments reported through the finance system and are designed so that 80% of members with dependents have rental payments fully reimbursed. For other members, Rental allowance may cover the majority of the rental expenses. Overseas Housing

The Utility/Recurring Maintenance allowance and MIHA Miscellaneous are determined by surveys. The survey collects data annually to identify how much service members spent in the previous year for utilities and recurring maintenance. The data is then used to determine Utility/Recurring Allowances, as part of the computation of a service member’s OHA. Additionally, every three years a MIHA survey is conducted to identify how much money service members spend on move-in expenses.

Service members can make a difference in the amount of Utility/Recurring Maintenance allowance and MIHA Miscellaneous they receive by keeping accurate expense records and participating in these surveys.

The Defense Travel Management Office website contains OHA locality tables with current rate information: https://www.travel.dod.mil/Allowances/Overseas-Housing-Allowance/.

Required For Submission:

Complete a DD Form 2367, “Individual Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) Report,” and submit the completed form with a copy of your lease agreement to the appropriate official for approval. If you qualify for MIHA/Rent, MIHA/Security, or MIHA/Infectious Disease, you must also complete DD Form 2556, “Move-In Housing Allowance Claim.” A new DD Form 2367 must be completed each time your housing information changes.

Housing Allowance Waiver Program What is it? The BAH/OHA waivers provide temporary assistance to airmen, guardians and their dependents to ease the transition of a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) move to the new Permanent Duty Station (PDS) in limited situations when the service members and dependents will reside separately. A waiver under this authority does not provide for "dual" housing allowances; rather, the member's old PDS or dependents' location could be eligible for a higher BAH rate than the member's new PDS assignment.

Who qualifies? The program applies to airmen and guardians with dependents whose dependents reside with them at the previous duty station prior to departing on a PCS or at a government approved designated location (for airmen and guardians serving an unaccompanied/dependent restricted tour).

  • The dependent must reside with the airmen or guardian prior to the PCS unless the member is serving an unaccompanied/dependent restricted tour

  • The dependent must continue to reside at the previous duty station or government-approved designated place during the waiver period

  • Airmen and Guardians without a dependent can only apply for a waiver under a Low/No Cost (LCNC) PCS.

What situations qualify? Service members may apply for consideration of a housing allowance waiver under the following circumstances:

  • Low/No cost PCS- Airmen and Guardians who are not authorized to move household goods or dependents and must commute from the same residence occupied at the last duty station to the new duty station. Active duty PCS orders must reflect a code of “V” or “M”. Service members must have made their housing decision based on the prior assignment, must provide a written statement to the assignment OPR certifying they will not relocate their household as a result of PCS and must continue to commute from the same residence to the new permanent duty station. Assignment OPR must confirm locations are within commuting distance.

  • Professional Military Education (PME) or training course- Service members who will attend a military school or training course specify the course length (start and end date), location and title. JTR indicates approval for courses scheduled for a duration of one year or less are routinely approved.

  • Dependent education- Service members in receipt of PCS orders with a dependent who; is scheduled to complete the senior year in high school ; or service members who receive PCS orders AFTER the starting date of the dependent's school year; or who receive PCS orders less than 60 calendar days prior to the start of the school year.

  • Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP)- The Department of the Air Force has implemented an automated travel screening process to simplify required medical screening before a PCS. Members selected for an assignment will automatically receive and email with a link to MyVector to begin the screening process. Medical clearance is required for all Exceptionally Family Member Program families preparing to PCS, and for those members selected for an overseas assignment. The initial travel screen questionnaire is electronic and automated and provides immediate feedback for clearance or additional necessary actions.

EFMP member and those traveling overseas with dependents will be directed to Q-base, the DAF Special Needs Screening website and instructed to provide information as well as upload the required documentation for medical and educational clearance.

  • Advance travel of dependent - A dependent that travels ahead of the Service member to the new duty station and establishes a residence with a lease or mortgage agreement

  • Delayed travel of dependent - May occur in cases of:

    • TDY en-route to new PDS

    • Member in receipt of Retirement Order

    • Member in receipt of Deployment Order, or

  • A delay associated with circumstances beyond the members control

  • Assignment to CONUS-isolated location designation based upon criteria in DAFI 36-2110. The member's eligibility is based on member's receipt of a PCS order for an unaccompanied assignment for the applicable minimum tour length (currently 15 month minimum tour length).

How do service members apply? Airmen and Guardians are required to submit the following documents for consideration:

  • Waiver Request Submission Requirements: Service members will submit the Secretarial Housing Waiver request via myFSS (Secretarial Housing Waiver Process). Once approved/disapproved, AFPC will close the case out after including the decision memorandum in the service member’s myFSS account. The service member is responsible for taking the approval memorandum to their servicing finance office to continue/initiate the housing waiver.
  • PCS order to the old duty station

  • PCS order to the new duty station

  • Required document based on situation service member is applying for (PME, deployment, education).

Additional Information
Document Review Date: 09 January 2024