Permanent Change of Station (PCS) CONUS

Air National Guard: Federal Active Duty

Benefit Fact Sheet


There are numerous steps in the Permanent Change of Station (PCS) process. Through various agencies the Air Force provides guidance and counseling to assist Airmen and their Families in making the best choices.


Air National Guard Service members on Active Duty Under Title 10 USC are authorized government funded PCS moves if on AGR status.

Benefit Highlights

A Permanent Change of Station (PCS) much like everything else in the Air Force is a process. There are various agencies in place to help with any questions or concerns you may have during any stage of your move.

1) Notification of Move - Most PCS orders, AF Form 899, Request and Authorization for Permanent Change of Station – Military, are produced in the Orders Processing Application (OPA).

  • Normal Orders Processing- The Military Personnel Section (MPS) can begin drafting PCS orders in OPA at any time after the assignment notification is received and acknowledged by the Airman. The MPS OPA Technician/Approving Official publishes orders not later than 60 days prior to departure per Air Force Manual 36-2102, Base-Level Relocation Procedures. The orders are then sent to Air Force Personnel Center’s (AFPC) Total Force Service Center (TFSC) Assignments Section via OPA for authentication. AFPC TFSC Assignments Section authenticate orders by the projected departure date, or PDD, in OPA. Orders will be authenticated no earlier than 120 days prior to the PDD unless an exception to policy is approved by AFPC Military Assignments Programs Branch.

  • Exceptions to Policy- Exception to policy reasons may be to obtain diplomatic or official passports, requiring dependents to obtain a Visa, per Foreign Clearance Guide or short notice assignments, in accordance with DAFI 36-2110. All exception to policy requests must be submitted by the Airman through myPers; select PCS Order Exception Waiver.

  • Expedited Orders Request- Expedited processing requests are submitted by the MPS for short notice assignments or cases where orders are submitted and the Airman's PDD is within 36 hours of the order submission date, or if extraordinary circumstances exist. Justification is required. The MPS relocation function sends expedited processing requests via email to the AFPC TFSC Assignments Section and may follow up on requests 24 hours after submission.

2) Documents required for orders– The following documents are required to receive your PCS orders. DD Form 1172, DEERS verification form. Must be turned in if you have dependents; obtained from MPF Customer Service.

  • Retainability (If applicable): If you need retainability for the assignment, you will print off the Retainability Memorandum and provide to the MPF/Reenlistment and Extension Section. The retainability must be completed within 30 days of receiving your initial assignment notification. Failure to complete the retainability in the required timeline could result in cancellation of assignment.

  • Personnel Processing Codes (if applicable): They are 3 letter codes that require you to accomplish additional actions prior to orders being issued and/or out processing. If applicable, the PPC guide/description will be included in your initial assignment notification e-mail.

  • Advances

    • Advance Basic Pay - Advance Basic Pay is similar to an interest-free loan for a PCS with military salary as collateral. Repayment is normally made in 12 equal installments beginning the month after it is drawn. Request using DD Form 2560

    • Permissive TDY (PTDY) - Typically up to 10 days, where leave is not charged, and is granted by a unit for purposes of relocating.

    • Leave - Submit an AF 988, Leave Request/ Authorization if you wish to take leave in conjunction with a PCS.

3) Orders - To proceed with arranging your move you will receive an approved set of orders.

4) Moving Services and Transportation - Moving services can be arranged using, the Defense Personal Property System (DPS) or in person at your local Traffic Management Office (TMO). MilitaryOnesource is also available to help service members, their families, and anyone moving with the military to get organized for your move.

You cannot use DPS if…

  • This is your first personal property move

  • This is your last personal property move (you are separating or retiring)

  • You are storing or moving personal property AND you have contingency or deployment orders

  • You are storing or moving personal property AND moving your family to an overseas location

  • You are not the property owner AND you are using a Power of Attorney (POA)

  • You are moving personal property as “next of kin” or Summary Courts Officer.

Provide the following at time of counseling:

  • Complete set of orders/authorization, including amendments, for each type of shipment planned (e.g., Household Goods (HHG), Non-Temporary Storage (NTS), Unaccompanied Baggage (UB))

  • An idea of when you want to move and an estimated weight. Be as flexible as possible when selecting HHG pack and pickup dates. Your preferred dates may not be available during some periods such as summer or days near official holidays. Avoid scheduling lease termination or house sale closing on the same date your HHG are to be packed, picked up, or delivered. Leave some time in your schedule for the unforeseen. You or your designated representative must be available between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. local time on pack, pickup, and delivery dates.

  • The date you plan to arrive at your new duty station. Your arrival date assists your Transportation Service Provider (TSP) and/or local TMO with scheduling delivery of your shipment(s), which may reduce storage costs paid by the Government

  • What type of shipment you want to make (HHG, UB and/or NTS) and the estimated weight. Do not forget to declare Professional Books, Papers, and Equipment / Professional Gear (PBP&E/Pro-Gear)

  • Information on excess cost. The minimum excess cost is approximately $100.00 per hundred pounds over the maximum weight allowance.

  • A list of large or unusual items (e.g., large screen TV [i.e., plasma, LCD, DLP], piano, pool table, china cabinet, wall unit, satellite dish, hot tub, boat, motorcycle, recreational vehicle)

  • A letter of authorization signed by you or a POA; required if you are unable to visit the TMO. You may appoint your spouse or an agent to act on your behalf. Be sure the person you choose knows what you want and has the information to make the right arrangements. Remember, this person is acting for you, and you are responsible for that person’s decisions.

Personally Procured Move (PPM) , formerly called Do It Yourself (DITY)

family moving out of a house, boxes and furniture in the yard The PPM program is an alternate means of moving your personal property. You must make the arrangements at origin just as you would for a Government arranged move and complete certain other requirements to include obtaining weight tickets.

The PPM program allows you to personally move HHG and either be reimbursed up to the Government’s cost or to collect an incentive payment from the Government.

The TMO must provide counseling and prior approval for a PPM move. Failing to comply with Service requirements of the program may limit payment or result in complete denial of your claim.

Weight estimator for a PPM

U.S. Transcom provides an “It’s Your Move” Guide to assist Service members in understanding allowances and responsibilities during the packing, shipping and storage of household goods.

Weight Allowance

Moving allowance is based on the Service members rank, dependency status, and if the move is Outside the Continental United States (OCONUS) or in the Continental United States (CONUS). Overages are the Service member’s financial responsibility. For up to date information regarding household goods weight allowance use the calculator on .

To estimate weight of your personal belongings use a weight estimator calculator.

Professional Gear (PBP&E) Allowance

PBP&E allowances have changed for members whose travel orders are issued 1 May 2014 and later. The new allowances limit PBP&E to 2,000 pounds net weight and no longer include personal computers and accompanying equipment, and/or awards presented for significant contributions while performing official duties.

PBP&E/Pro-Gear is defined as:

  • HHG in a member’s possession needed for the performance of official duties at the next or a later destination

  • If you have PBP&E/Pro-Gear to declare, you must do so in or DPS

  • If your estimated and declared PBP&E/Pro-Gear weighs 1,000 pounds or less, there will be no additional approval or review of your declared Pro-Gear and it may be included and packed with the rest of your HHG

  • If your estimated and declared PBP&E/Pro-Gear weighs more than 1,000 pounds, your Service may review your declaration and items at their discretion outside of or DPS

  • When PBP&E/Pro-Gear is properly declared in or DPS, the weight of PBP&E/Pro-Gear does not count against the total weight of your shipment(s). Before signing your inventory prepared by the TSP(s), be sure these items are declared as “PBP&E/Pro-Gear”. The proper designation of these items and the exclusion of the weight can be very important.

  • The following items are considered PBP&E/Pro-Gear:

    • Reference material not ordinarily available at the next Permanent Duty Station (PDS)

    • Instruments, tools, and equipment peculiar to technicians, mechanics, and members of the professions

    • Specialized clothing such as diving suits, astronaut’s suits, flying suits and helmets, band uniforms, chaplain’s vestments, and other specialized apparel not normal or usual uniform or clothing

    • Communications equipment used by a member in association with the Military Affiliated Radio System

    • Individually owned or specially issued field clothing and equipment

    • Government- or uniformed service-owned accountable organizational clothing and individual clothing property issued to the employee or member by the Service/DoD component for official use.

Excluded from PBP&E/Pro-Gear are:

  • Commercial products for sale/resale used in conducting business

  • Sports equipment

  • Office furniture

  • Household furniture

  • Shop fixtures

  • Furniture of any kind even though used in connection with PBP&E/Pro-Gear (e.g., bookcases, study/computer desks, file cabinets, and racks)

  • Personal computer equipment and peripheral devices

  • Memorabilia, including awards, plaques, or other objects presented for past performance (includes any type of going-away gifts, office decorations, pictures, etc.)

  • Table service, including flatware (including serving pieces), dishes (including serving pieces, salvers, and their heating units), other utensils, and glassware

  • Other items of a professional nature that are not necessary at the next/subsequent PDS, such as textbooks from previous schools unrelated to future duties; personal books, even if used as part of a past professional reading program or course of instruction; and reference material that ordinarily would be available at the next/subsequent PDS either in hard copy or available on the Internet.

What to expect from your Transportation Service Provider (TSP)

TSP’s Responsibilities (at Origin):

  • Conduct Pre-Move Survey (physical or telephonic) depending on the type of shipment and estimated weight. It should be conducted prior to the first day of packing.

  • Begin packing/pickup between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

  • Protect appliances against damage while in transit. The TSP secures moving parts that, if allowed to move in transit, could damage the appliance.

  • Use new, clean packing materials for linen, clothing, and bedding

  • Use new or like-new packing materials for all other items. Excelsior or newspaper is not allowed. Items packed in boxes should be padded and insulated from carton walls.

  • Pack mirrors, pictures, and glass tabletops in specially designed cartons

  • Wrap and protect all finished surfaces from marring or scratching; use furniture pads

  • Properly roll and protect rug and rug pads at residence. Only small throw rugs may be folded.

  • Pack all designated PBP&E/Pro-Gear in separate boxes. These cartons must be marked “PBP&E/Pro- Gear”, weighed separately, and listed on the inventory form.

  • Put all nuts, bolts, and screws from a disassembled item in a bag and attach securely to the item

  • Mark each carton to show general contents

  • Prepare an accurate and legible inventory

  • Obtain approval from the TMO prior to loading on the tailgate of the moving van

  • Remove all excess packing material from your residence

TSP’s Responsibilities (at Destination):

  • Begin delivery between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

  • Perform a one-time placement of rugs prior to placement of your HHG

  • two men moving a box off a truck Unpack and unwrap all cartons, boxes, and crates

  • Place each item or carton in the room you indicate. This one-time placement includes placing unpacked articles in cabinets, cupboards, or on kitchen shelves when convenient, safe, and it is your desired location. Have placement planned out before the TSP arrives. TSPs are required to place each item only once.

  • Assemble all furniture and equipment if disassembled at origin

  • Remove packing and blocking from appliances. The TSP is not required to connect appliances to electric, gas, or water outlets.

  • Provide a “Joint” written record of any loss and/or damage at delivery on DD Form 1842 or on the “Defense Personal Property Program Notification of Loss or Damage AT Delivery” Form. You and or your designated representative along with the delivery TSP sign this form. The TSP’s representative must provide a copy of this form.

  • TSPs are not required to go into an attic, crawl space, or similar storage area for the purpose of delivering and placing personal property

  • Once the shipment has been delivered, the TSP is not required to deliver property to a self-storage facility.

NOTE: It is not advisable to waive unpacking at any time during the delivery. However, if unpacking is waived, the TSP is not required to return later to unpack or remove debris

5) Housing - Installations are required to provide Housing Support and Referral Services to all DoD personnel and their dependents to help locate suitable, affordable, and nondiscriminatory housing in the local community or in privatized housing. In accordance with DoD policy, Service members shall obtain housing support services prior to agreeing to rent, lease, or purchase housing. Your orders should also state to contact the Housing Office prior to entering into a rental or lease agreement. This requirement is in your best interest to ensure you make fully informed decisions on housing for you and your family at your new assignment.

Housing Early Assistance Tool (HEAT) creates an easy on-line experience to connect you, the Service member, with your future destination and offers an on-line venue to obtain housing assistance prior to a PCS transfer. The Air Force has successfully implemented HEAT across the AF Enterprise so members can reach out to installations when preparing for transition. Installations are accessible through the HEAT tool across CONUS and most OCONUS installations. Members should use HEAT when preparing to transfer to their new assignment. The housing options that are available when relocating:

  • Government owned Military Housing: Property is owned, managed, and maintained by the Department of Defense. Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is used to cover the cost of rent, maintenance and some utilities. Use the Resource Locator for housing information at your destination.

  • Privatized Military Housing: Property is managed and maintained by a private entity. BAH is used to cover the cost of rent, maintenance and some utilities. Use the Resource Locator for housing information at your destination.

  • Rental Property: The DoD provides which is designed to connect Service members and their families with community housing rental listing located near U.S. military bases. Remember to ensure your lease contract incorporates the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) an additional protection to military members. For additional protection have the lease reviewed by the legal assistance office.

  • Purchase a Home: Service members may also choose to purchase a home. See the Homeowners Assistance Program and VA Home Loan Fact Sheets for purchase information.

  • Apartments Unaccompanied Housing (UH) – On most Air Force installations, UH is provided for unaccompanied Airmen in the ranks of E-1 to E-3, and E-4 with less than 3 years of service, and for designated in-residence pipeline and technical training students. Each Airman is provided a private sleeping room, furnishings, bed linens, and supplies required for comfortable living. At certain overseas locations, UH may be available and/or required for other categories of personnel, based on specific policies, procedures, and mission needs. Each installation may also have additional base-specific policies and procedures for UH management. For additional information use the Resource Locator to contact the housing office and your new installation.

  • Unaccompanied Personnel with Dependents - Unaccompanied personnel with dependents who voluntarily separate from their dependents are sometimes referred to as “geographic bachelors.” Unaccompanied personnel with dependents must submit an exception to policy through their chain of command to the housing office for processing to reside in UH. If approved, they are housed on a “space available” basis.

Your local housing office is available to provide more information. Be sure to check local BAH rates before deciding on which option is right for your family.

6) Claims - Unfortunately, you may suffer loss or damage to your personal property during movement. If your property is lost or damaged, you have the right to file a claim directly with the TSP.

To file a claim, log on to DPS, from the welcome screen locate your shipment and click on the “File a Claim” link. To create a claim, click on the “Start My Claim” button. On the Claim page, click on the icon in the BOL/GBL Number field. DPS will present a pop-up window with a list of shipments. Select a listed shipment in the pop-up window, click the “Pick” button and then confirm by clicking the “Ok” button.

If a claim is filed directly with the TSP within 9 months of delivery, then the TSP’s maximum liability on each domestic HHG is:

  • $5,000 per shipment or

  • $4.00 times the net weight of the HHG shipment, or gross weight of the UB shipment, in pounds, not to exceed $50,000, whichever is greater.

For direct claims settlement between member and TSP:

  • Claims must be filed through DPS

  • Claims must be filed with the TSP first to maintain Full Replacement Value (FRV) protection eligible.

A member has the option to transfer the claim to the military claims service after 30 days. In these instances, the military claims service pays the member a depreciated value and then pursues the FRV claim with the TSP. After settlement with the TSP, if the FRV settlement exceeds the amount paid by the military claims service to the member, the member receives the difference.

Accepting a Claim Offer
To accept a claim offer, log on to DPS and click the “Claim History” button. Then click the “View My Claim” link. Within the “All Claims” section, locate your claim number and click on it. Now click on the item that you are wishing to accept and click the “Accept Offer” button. Be sure to confirm if you want to accept the offer.

7) Monetary Allowances and Subsidies

Transferring your Professional License:
The 2018 National Defense Authorization Act allows each service branch to reimburse the Service member up to $1,000 for Spouse's re-licensure and certification costs resulting from relocations or PCS moves that cross U.S. state lines. Learn more about licensing and certifications from the Installation Airman & Family Readiness Center, the Department of Labor website at, and the DoD Spouse Education and Career Opportunities Program. Free Career Coach counseling is also available by calling 800-342-9647.

Travel Voucher

For a detailed guide on how to complete the DD 1351-2 click here.

SmartVoucher can be used to make filling in your DD Form 1351-2 easier. Sending in vouchers that are legible, correct and include all the necessary information and documents is the first step in getting your travel claim paid promptly. After you’ve sent your voucher, check your claim status online at:

Documents to include when claiming entitlements:

  • DD Form 1351-2 voucher

  • Complete set of orders and all amendments

  • Receipts showing the following

    • Company name

    • Date item/service was provided

    • Cost of item/service

    • Taxes shown as a separate item on receipt

    • Proof of payment (marked “paid” or amount due $0.00)

Dislocation Allowance (DLA)
The purpose of DLA is to partially reimburse a member for the expenses incurred in relocating the household on a PCS, ordered for the Government's convenience, or incident to an evacuation. This may be paid in advance. For current rates see the Defense Travel Management Website.

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)
MALT is used as mileage reimbursement for Service members and their dependents during a PCS move. When a member and dependents relocate on a Service member’s PCS move, MALT reimbursement is authorized for two privately-owned conveyances (POCs), if used. MALT is paid on a per mile basis for the official distance of each portion of the travel. The MALT Rate per authorized POC is $0.16/mile for PCS travel beginning on or after 1 January 2021.

Per Diem

Per Diem is used to reimburse Service members for travel expenses. Rates are set each fiscal year and determined based on location. There are three components to this allotment: lodging, meals and incidentals.

For information on Per Diem rates at your location use the Per Diem Calculator.


12 Years of Age and Older

Less Than 12 Years of Age

Dependent Travels with the Service Member

Per diem is calculated at 75% of the per diem the Service member receives for direct travel between the old and new PDS and authorized delay points.

Per diem is calculated at 50% of the per diem the Service member receives for direct travel between the old and new PDS and Authorized delay points.

Dependent Travels Separately from the Service Member

100% of what the Service member would have received.

Two or More Dependents Travel Separately from the Service Member

Per diem is calculated at 100% for the first dependent and 75% for each of the remaining dependents traveling with the first dependent.

Per diem is calculated at 50% for each dependent traveling with the first dependent for direct travel between the old and new PDS.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

TLE is an allowance intended to partially pay members for lodging/meal expenses incurred by a member/dependent(s) while occupying temporary lodging at a CONUS location in association with a PCS move.

TLE is only authorized in the vicinity of the old/new PDS; it is not authorized for house hunting.

  • TLE Reimbursement is limited to 10 days for a CONUS to CONUS PCS

  • TLE Reimbursement is limited to 5 days to/from an OCONUS PDS

*Lodging at OCONUS locations may be reimbursed under Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA). Contact Military Pay Office for additional information.

Determining TLE Entitlement:

Determine the TLE entitlement by multiplying the percentage in the following table by the applicable locality lodging and M&IE rates.

No. of Eligible Persons Occupying Temporary Quarters

Percentage Applicable

Member or 1 dependent


Member and 1 dependent, or 2 dependents only


For each additional dependent age 12 and over, add


For each additional dependent under age 12, add


8) Resources at New Duty Location - These resources can be located by contacting your local Airman and Family Readiness Center.

  • Loan Closet: Common household items are available to borrow for up to 30 days. Items available are specific to each installation but usually include: irons, ironing boards, kitchen appliances, dishes, flatware, and pots and pans.

  • Post-Move Newcomers Orientation: Provides information about your new installation, including housing, education, healthcare, briefings on the PCS In-Processing System, the online travel voucher filing system and more.

  • Individual Counseling: Your Relocation Assistance Program Manager can address specific issues with you one-on-one and give guidance and suggestions to help resolve any problems that may come along with your move.

  • Provide sponsorship: Sponsor assists in facilitating a smooth PCS transition. Sponsors serve as the link between the inbound member/Family and the unit, providing sufficient information and support so newly assigned Airmen understands expectations, role(s), and reinforce the importance of our core tenants (e.g., warfighting excellence, esprit de corps, standards, thriving Airmen and Families, etc.).

  • School Liaison: Can provide assistance to relocating families and act as an advocate for military connected students.

  • Childcare: Up to 20 hours of free childcare per child with a licensed day care provider. This is available to all ranks and needs to be used within 60 days of your PCS. Bring a copy of your PCS orders to the Airman & Family Readiness Center in order to get your voucher for each child and a list of day care providers. This program is based on FCC provider availability.

Additional Information
Document Review Date: 05 August 2021